Towns and villages 
Places where my Ancestors were born



Acton by Nantwich is an Ancient parish which commenced keeping parish registers from the year 1653. It is a small village and civil parish lying immediately west of the town of Nantwich.

Alport is a small, quiet and attractive Derbyshire and Peak District village, situated just off the main road (A6) connecting Matlock and Bakewell.

Named after the portway road which ran through the settlement, the Saxon inhabitants of Alport, added the prefix`al` (old). The stone houses with pretty gardens date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. This was lead mining country in the 18th and 19th centuries and there is still much evidence of this in the area.
The river Lathkill cascades down through the village in a series of weirs and meets the river Bradford coming from Youlgrave. Here in a near idyllic setting among the trees below a clear pool a weir that John Bying, passing this way in June 1790, noted as a `pretty cascade`. Beside the weir is an old corn mill. A mill was recorded here at Alport in 1159, and it may have been the same one mentioned in the Doonsday Book, 70 years earlier, as standing at Youlgrave.

Alsop-en-le-Dale is a tiny Derbyshire village situated 5 miles north of Ashbourne It is only a mile from Parwich and about a mile from Dovedale. The village consists of a church, a hall, a few farms and cottages. The main Ashbourne to Buxton road once passed through Alsop, but was diverted to save coaches the climb down into the valley and then back up again.

Alstonefield or Alstonfield is a village, a township, and a parish on the NE border of Staffordshire, near to Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Dove. It is situated in the Peak District National Park, is an attractive, closely knit village, situated on a limestone plateau 900 feet above sea level. Alstonefield has many stone buildings dating from the 18th century or earlier. It was a thriving market centre in the middle ages having been granted its own market charter in 1308 but lost much of its status with the growth of towns like Ashbourne. Alstonefield continued with annual cattle sales right up until the beginning of the 20th century. Many of the footpaths and lanes in the area date back to those prosperous times.


Audley is a rural village approximately four miles north west of the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire, England.The first mention of Audley is in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was called Aldidelege, when the lands were held by a Saxon called Gamel. At this time, the area was very sparsely populated, and because of its distance from the major towns of Stafford and Chester there was little outside contact

Baguley is a small locality in Wythenshawe, and an electoral ward of the city of Manchester in North West England.
Baguley is a derivation of the old English words BACGA - meaning badger, and LEAH - meaning wood (Bacga originally meant 'a bag-shaped animal'). So Baguley means 'badger's wood'.

Bakewell is an ancient town in the centre of the Peak District National Park, founded in Saxon times. It is the home of the famous Bakewell Pudding. The Domesday Book entry calls the town 'Badequella', meaning Bath-well. The town was built on the Wye at a spot where it was fordable and in 924 Edward the Elder ordered a fortified borough to be built here. Bakewell has one of the oldest markets in the area, dating from at least 1300. The first recorded fair was held in 1254. Markets are still held every Monday and there is a thriving livestock market.

Ballidon is a tiny White Peak hamlet in an isolated location, somewhat overshadowed by its' limestone quarry. There are just a few farms and scattered cottages in the hamlet, which is all that remains of a larger medieval settlement.

Bethnal Green is a district in East London. It developed from a farming hamlet in the ancient parish of Stepney.

Barthomley was an ancient parish within Cheshire. It contained five townships: Alsager, Balterley, Barthomley itself, Crewe, and Haslington. Of these, Balterley township and (now) civil parish was and is entirely in the neighbouring county of Staffordshire, and Crewe was later renamed Crewe Green to avoid confusion with the neighbouring unparished borough and railway town. All five townships were made separate civil parishes in 1866.



Blackfriars is a small district in the City of London. It is located on the bank of the River Thames, east of The Temple and southwest of St. Paul’s Cathedral. From 1221 to 1538 the Blackfriars Monastery was located on the riverside. It was a wealthy and influential institution, and its halls were often used for government council meetings. The so-called “Black Parliament” met there a few years before the start of the Wars of the Roses. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century, the site held the Blackfriars Playhouse. The area became a fashionable residential district in the early 17th century.

Bolton le Sands is now a large village and civil parish of the City of Lancaster in Lancashire with a population of over 4,000 residents. Referred to as Bodeltone in the Domesday book, the village was known as Bolton until the arrival of the railways, when the name was changed to Bolton-le-Sands to differentiate from similarly named towns on the same line.The oldest church in the village, founded prior to 1094, is the Church of England Holy Trinity church, originally dedicated to St Michael.


Bradbourne in Derbyshire is an ancient village situated 4 miles north east of Ashbourne and stands high on a ridge between the valleys of Bradbourne Brook and Havenhill Dale, enjoying some fine views. It was recorded in Domesday as Bradeburne, meaning broad stream, and having a church and a priest. At domesday it belonged to Henry de Ferres. A corn mill once stood in Bradbourne, built into the hillside in 1726. It lies crumbling and forgotten on a sharp bend on the B5056. Today Bradbourne is known for it's ancient church, Elizabethan Hall and the old Parsonage.

Brassington in the Peak District National Park, is a largish, attractive if somewhat greyish, limestone village perched on a hillside, some 800 feet above sea level and known to the locals as `Brass`n`. It was once a thriving centre at the heart of lead mining country, but things are much quieter now. Brassington has many cottages that date back to the 17th and 18th centuries, with the `TUDOR HOUSE`, built in 1615, being one of the oldest.

Bunbury  is an Ancient Parish in Cheshire and includes Alpraham, Beeston, Calveley, Haughton, Wardle, Ridley, Spurstow, Tiverton, and Peckforton. From the eighth century a church has been on the site, initially a wooden Anglo-Saxon church. By 1135 a stone Norman church was present. The church was rebuilt in the decorated style in 1320. In 1385–86 Sir Hugh Calveley endowed it as a collegiate church.

Burton upon Trent

Butterton is situated in Staffordshire and part of the Peak District National Park. It is an isolated but very picturesque village, situated high up on moorland close to the manifold valley. Butterton, as with nearby Grindon, lay on the old packhorse route carrying ore from the copper mines at Ecton.

Calveley, Cheshire

Calverley, Yorkshire is first mentioned in the great Domesday Survey compiled for William the Conqueror in 1086. The name is derived from two Old English words meaning clearing with calves. Old English was the language spoken by the incoming Anglo-Saxons in the 7th century AD, which suggests that Calverley might have first emerged as a settlement at that time. The ley element, meaning clearing, is common to many settlements along the Aire valley such as Bramley, Armley, and Rodley, which suggests that the Anglo-Saxons were moving in to utilize land not already occupied by the native Britons. In the Aire valley at least they were settlers who must have worked hard to clear their land and establish farmsteads.

Caton is a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lune and the Midland railway, a few miles NE of Lancaster; is in Lancaster parish; includes Littledale hamlet. A rising ground commands a noble view, much praised by the poet Gray, of the valley of the Lune, backed by Ingleborough mountain. Coal and slate are found; and the cotton manufacture is carried on.

Chapel en le Frith was founded in 1225 by foresters in the Royal Forest of the Peak, who were given permission by the Earl of Derby to build a chapel in the forest (a chapel-en-le-frith). The high concentration of inns is evidence of Chapel-en-le-Frith’s historical importance as a stopping place on routes across the Pennines. Salt carriers from Cheshire, cattle drovers and stagecoach passengers all broke their journey for refreshment in the town. Chapel’s role in the history of transport goes well beyond its importance as a staging post. A tramway was constructed in 1797 to carry stones from the quarries of Dove Holes to the terminus of the Peak Forest Canal at Bugsworth. The trucks were horse drawn for much of the journey, but a revolutionary gravitational railway was used on the steepest section, whose path can be traced on the eastern boundary of the town.

Cheddleton lies 5km south of Leek, where the A520 road crosses the beautiful Churnet valley, which is deep and steep-sided here.There has been a settlement here since at least Saxon times, since the river was an obvious source of both water and water power. One of the flint mills (which are now a museum) was originally a corn mill and dates from the 14th century. Cheddleton began to expand with the construction of the Caldon Canal, in 1779. This was originally built to bring limestone from the quarry at Cauldon and linked Stoke on Trent (where it joined the Trent and Mersey canal) with Froghall, lower down the Churnet Valley. The canal brought improved communications and hence industry (such as flint-milling) to the area. The construction of the North Staffordshire railway in 1849 brought further industry to the area, which has remained to this day.


Chorlton cum Hardy By the 9th century, there was an Anglo-Saxon settlement here. Later in the Middle Ages, improved drainage methods led to population growth. Chorlton was a Lancashire village on the  southwest border with Cheshire. It was incorporated into Manchester in 1904.

Church Minshull, Cheshire is recorded in the Domesday Book as Maneshale. According to records from November 1824, numerous trades and crafts were carried out in the village: blacksmith, wheelwright, joiners, cordwainer, gamekeeper, bricklayer, weaver, tailor, carrier, victualler, laundry woman and many domestic servants. There was also a shopkeeper, butcher, two school mistresses and a school master, farmers and farm workers, paupers and spinsters.The current village church, St Bartholomew's Church was built on the site of an earlier place of worship between 1702 and 1704. A village school was built in the churchyard in 1785.

Clerkenwell derives from The Clerk’s Well where Parish clerks would gather to perform biblical mystery plays. The site of the well was formally within St Mary’s Nunnery of the Benedictine order. It was founded in 1100 and remained till 1539 when Henry VIII disbanded the monasteries and convents. The area has connections to the Knights Templar, historic revolutionary figures, legendary literary pickpockets, a notable musical coal-man and faked ghost appearances.

Coppenhall, now in Crewe is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Copehale. From 1086 to 1524 it was held under the barony of Stafford and Lord Stafford was lord of the manor until at least 1884. By the twelfth century, it was known as Coppenhale (the meadowland of Coppa) and by the fifteenth century, the village was known as Coppenhall, its present day form. In 1558, 120 people lived here, including the hamlet of Butterhill. By 1666, there were 14 households chargeable for hearth tax and 5 too poor to be taxed. In 1811, there were 96 inhabitants.

Crewe originally started out as the village of Coppenhall, but it was when the Grand Junction Railway Company opened their engineering works there in 1843 that the town began to develop. The town was already a major railway junction  linking together Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. The influx of workers meant that Crewe changed from village to town within the space of a few years. Other heavy industries followed.

Cripplegate was already in place when the London Wall was built as it was the northern gate of a Roman fort which was built in AD 120. The northern and western walls formed part of the new wall, although these defences were completely rebuilt in early medieval times. Like a number of its sister gates, it was used as a prison for part of its life, being leased for accommodation at other times. The gate gave access to a substantial medieval suburb and to the village of Islington. Extra defensive works on the northern site outside the gate gave rise to the name 'barbican' (or outer fortification of the City), which was then taken as the name for the post-War rebuilding of the area. It originally only led into the fort and became a gate into the City when the fort was demolished.

Cromford in Derbyshire, is a place many people simply pass through on their way to the Matlocks, Bakewell and other northerly places, but Cromford is very definitely worth taking a closer look at, because it is steeped in industrial history and often called the cradle of the industrial revolution. Before 1770, Cromford was little more than a cluster of cottages around an old packhorse bridge and a chapel where travellers gave thanks for a safe journey. All that was soon to change with the arrival of one man, Richard Arkwright. He began to build the worlds first successful water powered cotton spinning mill here in 1771 which soon became so successful that he was able to build other mills including Haarlem mill in nearby Wirksworth and Masson mill in Matlock Bath. Others copied his ideas and soon water powered cotton spinning mills began to spring up in Europe and America. At first he used labour from the local farming and mining community but as production increased he advertised and workers were brought in from other areas. He especially asked for large families to come and join the work force and a whole town was constructed to house them, rows of cottages, a school, a chapel and a hotel. The pattern for later industrial towns had emerged.

Dodleston is a village in Cheshire bordering Flintshire near the city of Chester.It included the villages of Higher Kinnerton and Lower Kinnerton.


Ealing, now part of London was historically a rural village in the county of Middlesex and formed an ancient parish.

Eaton near Nantwich, Cheshire


Ellastone is a village situated close to the River Dove on the border between Derbyshire and Staffordshire. It dates back to Anglo Saxon times and features in the Domesday Book where it is listed as Edelachestone or Elachestone. The local church of St. Peter's dates back to the sixteenth century with the year 1586  displayed on the tower. Ellastone has literary connections. George Elliot's father lived here in his youth and she use it as settings for some scenes in Adam Bede. Ellastone was Hayslope in the county of Loamshire. Her grandfather's grave is in the churchyard.

Eyam is a village in Derbyshire, England. The village is best known for being the "plague village" that chose to isolate itself when the plague was discovered there in August 1665, rather than let the infection spread.

Failsworth is a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on undulating ground, on the course of the Rochdale Canal and north bank of the River Medlock.

Farnham in Surrey began life as a Saxon village. Little is known about it but from the 7th century Farnham belonged to the Bishop of Winchester. Originally it was called Fern Hamm, the well watered meadow (hamm) by the ferns. By the beginning of the 13th century the little village of Farnham had grown into a town. It was situated where 2 important roads crossed, the road from Eastern England to the Southwest and the road from London to Southampton. It was natural that trading would take place at Farnham and a town would grew up. Farnham probably grew into a town partly because of a castle that was built there. It was built in the mid 12th century by the Bishop of Winchester to be a convenient residence for him halfway between Winchester and London. The garrison of the castle formed a market for the townspeople's goods.


Grayrigg is a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Kendal district, Westmoreland. The township lies adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, near the source of the river Mint, 5 miles NE of Kendal.

Great Longstone

Great Sampford and Little Sampford are villages in Essex. The villages stands on the river Pant and have a history comparable to most Essex villages with references in the 1086 Domesday book (then known as Sanforda). The origins of the Sampfords, meaning sandy ford, are still awaiting discovery but it is known there was a Saxon settlement about the river Pant, where the kingfisher is often seen. Mentioned in Domesday the names were Sanford (Magna) and Sanforda (Parva), when the population numbered between 275 to 325. Nine hundred years later there are around 650 residents. The two churches are still in use. St Michael the Archangel at Great Sampford dates from the 13th century. St Michael's setting is idyllic, at the heart of the village, above the river Pant, surrounded by a flint stone wall and bordered by an avenue of lime trees. The view to the west is across miles of undulating Essex cornland and woodland. St Mary the Virgin at Little Sampford is enchanting. Set in a fold of the land its churchyard must be one of the most picturesque. Local artists often sketch there and villagers and visitors alike seem to savour its special peacefulness with the view across the river valley. The present building is believed to date from early in the 1300s, although there been a church on the site since well before the Norman Conquest.

Grindon is a peaceful little moorland hill village, standing at over 1000feet above sea level in the Peak District National Park, and over looking the beautiful manifold valley. It lay on the old packhorse route carrying ore from the copper mine  at  Ecton. Grindon has an interesting looking pub called the Cavalier, previously called the Shoulder of Mutton and originally the village smithy. Over 400 years old, the building was possibly renamed in honour of Bonnie Prince Charles who is reputed to have stayed in the village.



Hawarden is rich in history. It contains two castles; one built again by King Edward 1, the other the home of William Gladstone, four times British Prime Minister.



Hope (Derbyshire) lies where the Edale Valley meets the Hope Valley and lies at the junction of the River Noe and Peakshole water. It was the base of the Eyre family, who became major landowners in this area of the Peak and played a significant role in the history, with various branches of the family creating renowned historical places which can still be seen and visited today, such as Peveril Castle. The original Eyre was said to have come with William the Conqueror and lost a leg in the Battle of Hastings and his family crest has an armoured leg above the shield.

Hope (Flintshire)

Ipstones is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1720 from chapelry in Leek, Staffordshire Ancient Parish.


Kendal is an old market town situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the country – the English Lake District. For many years Kendal was one of the most important wool towns in the country, even more important than West Yorkshire. The town was also a stopping off point for cattle drives from Scotland as well as a very important market.


Kinnerton (Higher) Kinnerton is a residential village in Flintshire, Wales, very close to the Wales-England border. Its sister village, Lower Kinnerton is on the other side of the border in Cheshire, England.



Leek is the principal town of the Staffordshire Moorlands and is locally known as 'The Queen of the Moorlands'. It stands on a hill in a large bend in the River Churnet. The town is an ancient market town and was a centre of silk weaving but this industry has now completely disappeared. The old town contains many fine buildings.



Middlewich is a small town, a township, and a subdistrict in Northwich district, and a parish partly also in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The town stands on the Grand Trunk canal, at the junction of the Middlewich branch, on the river Dane, at the influx of the Wheelock or Croco, and on the Sandbach, Middlewich, and Northwich branch of the Northwestern railway, 2 miles E of Winsford station on the main line of the Northwestern, and 21 E of Chester; took its name from being a middle one of the "wiches ''or salt towns of Cheshire; and is built on a bed of Roman remains.

Mold is the County town of Flintshire, Wales, on the River Alyn.

Newcastle under Lyme

Newton Heath takes its name from old English meaning "the new town on the heath". The heath in question stretched originally from Miles Platting to Failsworth, and is bordered by brooks and rivers on all four sides - the River Medlock, Moston Brook, Newton Brook and Shooters Brook. By the beginning of the 19th century, the Rochdale Canal had been constructed and this brought industrialisation to the district, and the former farming settlement was thus hastened into the Industrial Revolution and creeping urbanisation. The 19th century saw the local population increase nearly 20 fold. The railways arrived in the 1840s and the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (the LYR) laid two main lines across the district which made a significant change to the look of the district.

Northenden has a long history, having been mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and was at that time a small farming community with a manor house and woodland. A weir existed on the river in the 14th century (now at Mill Lane) and a mill was set up for the grinding of corn. The mill belonged to the Tatton family of Wythenshawe Hall, and it was demolished in the 1960s. Its name means "northern dale or valley", no doubt because of its immediate proximity to the river Mersey. This river once marked the boundary between Lancashire and Cheshire.

Over is a small town, a township, and a sub-district in Northwich district, and a parish partly also in Nantwich district, Cheshire. It is now incorporated into Winsford.

Parwich, Derbyshire is not on any of the main routes through the area and as a result does not suffer from the effects of traffic, as do other villages. Its neat limestone houses of various shapes and sizes stand in picture postcard fashion along winding lanes and narrow ginnels. In the summer, the cottages with their attractive gardens, window boxes and hanging baskets provide a vivid splash of colour against the green background of the steeply rising hillside. The church of St Peter was rebuilt in 1873 on a much older site possibly going back 800 years. It retains a Norman doorway and chancel arch and contains a fine carved tympanum over the west doorway, showing the lamb of god with a cross, a stag trampling on a serpent, a wolf, and other strange animals. The Royston Grange Archaeology Trail runs nearby with the remains of a Roman field system, Roman manor house and late medieval buildings.




Rusholme, unlike other place names in Manchester with the suffix holme is not a true water meadow. Its name derives from ryscum the dative plural of the Old English rysc, a "rush" meaning at the rushes. The name was recorded as Russum in 1235, Ryssham in 1316 and Rysholme in 1551. Records of the name Rusholme do not appear until the mid-13th century when "Russum" is mentioned; at this time it is known that a house existed at Platt which was replaced by a larger house of black and white construction which was the home of the Platts until the mid-18th century when the present classical building replaced it.


Saint Andrews

Sandbach is a market town and civil parish of Cheshire.

Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales is mentioned in the Doomsday Book and there was a Norman motte and bailey castle situated at Castlehaw at the eastern end of the town.The town was granted a market charter by Henry III in 1251. The 1761 Turnpike Act led to improvements in the Kirkby Stephen to Lancaster and the Askrigg to Kendal roads, both of which passed through Sedbergh and made the town more accessible helping the growth of the knitting industry. The improved transport links led to the growth of several mills in the area using water power from the plentiful streams and rivers to process locally produced wool and cotton brought up from Manchester.

Shavington lies 2˝ miles south of Crewe. Shavington appears in the Domesday survey as Santune

Snelston in Derbyshire is a small, attractive 19th century model village situated 3 miles south west of Ashbourne. Snelston nestles in a valley bounded on it's eastern side by Darley Moor through which the A515 passes, and on its western side by the river Dove, beside which a railway use to run. A small brook, which joins the river Dove, flows through the centre of the village and flooding has occurred in times of torrential rain.

Stepney is in East London and of the townships of Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, and Ratcliff; prior to 1669 it also included Limehouse, Shadwell, St George in the East, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Bow, and Poplar.

Stoke on Trent

Stoney Middleton was created in 1743 from a chapelry, in the parish of Hathersage.

South Leith



Tissington in Derbyshire, is a well managed estate village which has an ideal blend of duckpond, trees, cottages, church, tearooms and an old hall. To many, Tissington seems to be the model village. Well dressing takes place in Tissington. Tissington Hall is a large and very fine Jacobean mansion and home for theFitzherbert family for over 400 years. The house was built in 1609 for Francis Fitzherbert possibly incorporating parts of an earlier hall. The property had become a seat of the Fitzherberts around 1465. During the Civil War Tissington was garrisoned by Colonel FitzHerbert in support of the King.

Tower Hamlets

Tutbury is a large village of about 3,000 residents surrounded by the   agricultural countryside of Staffordshire and Derbyshire. It is 5 miles north of Burton upon Trent and 20 miles south of the Peak District. Tutbury was a hill fort in the Iron Age, about 2,500 years ago. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Toteberie.



Warton is a village and civil parish in the City of Lancaster in north Lancashire in the north-west of England, close to the boundary with Cumbria, with a population of around 2,000. It is a village steeped in history; its earliest recording as a settlement is made in Domesday Book. By the start of the 13th Century, Warton had flourished into an important staging post on the route north to Carlisle, Northumbria and Scotland. So much so, it was granted a charter for a Wednesday market, gallows and ordeal pit in 1200 during the reign of King John. The grant of borough status by the town's lord, the baron of Kendal, later in the thirteenth century confirmed the economic importance of Warton at that period. Warton is the birthplace of the medieval ancestors of George Washington, the first popularly elected President of the United States. Lawrence Washington, seven generations prior to George Washington and his family, arrived in Warton around 1300, and Robert Washington, Lawrence's great-grandson, is rumoured to have help build the clock tower of St Oswald's Church. The Washington family coat of arms, three mullets and two bars, can be found in the church and is said to have inspired the design of the flag of the United States. The flag of the United States of America is displayed on the village church flag pole every July Fourth. The flag was donated to the village after US soldiers had visited the village during WWII and having returned to the USA contacted their state senator about the birthplace of the Washington family. The donated flag was one of which had flown above the Capitol Building in Washington DC.

Waterfall is a small Staffordshire village, set on the moors, named after the way that the River Hemp, disappears underground through crevices in the ground.

Whitegate is a small village in Cheshire, England, located near the towns of Northwich and Winsford.

Wigtown is a town and former royal burgh in Wigtownshire in the District Council Region of Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland.

Wirksworth is a small market town which nestles in the hills to the southern end of the Pennines. The hills to th west are composed of limestone and those to the east are sandstone known locally as millstone grit. These have provided the industry for the town for many years, initially that of lead mining in the limestone and finally the quarrying of both the gritstone and the limestone. The town was once the most important lead mining centre in the country and had been since Roman times. In the Kings Field region just south of Wirksworth, anyone was allowed to search for lead, subject to the laws and customs governed by mining. Lead mining peaked in the 17th and 18th centuries before its steady decline in the 19th century, and many of the Wirksworth's impressive houses and other buildings were built during these prosperous times.

Withington, South Manchester. Post-conquest records, together with the environment of the area and related names elsewhere, support the origin of the place-name as Old English "Within-ton" - a settlement ("ton/tun") associated with willows ("withen/within"). In the early 13th Century, Withington is recorded as an independent manor under the lordship of William de Withington. By the turn of the 14th Century, it had become a submanor of the manor of Manchester which was in the possession of the de Haversage family, then the de Longfords, followed by the Moseley family. The last lords of the manor of Withington were the Egertons of Tatton.

Withington, Cheshire

Wybunbury, Cheshire (pronounced Winds-bury in local accent) is a village about four miles from the railway town of Crewe.