Edward Turner

Edward Turner was born at Great Sampford, Essex and was baptised  on 18th December 1804 at St Mary's,
 Little Sampford, Essex. He was the eighth and last child of Samuel and Ann Turner. At the age of 17 years,
 he walked nearly 50 miles to Ipswich, Suffolk to join the army and on 21st April 1821 he was enrolled into
the 20th (East Devonshire) Regiment of Foot.

20th Regiment badge
Badge of the 20th Regiment

At the time he joined, the regiment was on the island of St Helena guarding Napolean Bonaparte. Napolean died on 5th May 1821, before Edward's arrival but Edward served on St Helena until 1822 when the regiment was removed from St Helena to Bombay, India. After occupying the town barracks a short time, the regiment was stationed on the island of Colaba. After occupying Colaba until April 1824, the regiment embarked for Cannanore. Returning to Bombay in March 1825, the regiment proceeded to Poona.In February 1829, the regiment returned to the island of Colaba until January 1831 when it was removed to the cantonment of Belgaum. On 27 July 1834, Edward Turner was promoted to Corporal. The regiment was stationed at Belgaum until 1836. The regiment proceeded to Vingorla, where it embarked for England in January 1837.

It arrived at Deal in May and proceeded to Canterbury. On 26th March 1838 the regiment marched from Canterbury, to the Tower of London via Sittingbourne, Rochester and Dartford. On 8th June 1838, Edward Turner was promoted to Sergeant. Being the senior regiment of the line, at five a.m. on the 28th June 1838 it marched from the Tower and was stationed at Buckingham Palace upon Queen Victoria's coronation and had the special honour of receiving Her Majesty upon her departure to and from Westminster Abbey. on the 7th July 1838, His Grace the Duke of Wellington did the regiment the honour of presenting it with New Colours.
"0th Regiment of foot colours
Colours of 20th Regiment of foot

20th Regiment of Foot
On 11th July the regiment proceeded to Weedon, via Barnet, St Albans, Dunstable, Stratford and Towester and on 22nd November the head-quarters were established at Manchester. Leaving Manchester on 13th June 1839, the regiment was stationed at Stockport for 12 months. Edward Turner met and married Elizabeth Turner, on 18th September 1839 at St Mary's, Eccles. Elizabeth was born at Alport, Derbyshire in 1818.

In June 1840, the regiment marched from Stockport to Manchester and then were conveyed by train to Liverpool where it embarked for Ireland aboard  HMS Vesuvius. Landing at Kingstown the next morning, it marched to Dublin, it was stationed at the city at Richmond Barracks.

Edward and Elizabeth's first child, Edward George Turner was born in Ireland. In December, the regiment marched from Dublin to Athlone where it was stationed until April and afterwards proceeded to Limerick.
After some reorganisation, the regiment was split into two battalions. Edward was in the reserve battalion
which was stationed at Fermoy in Ireland.

 Edward's battalion embarked from Cork for Bermuda in June 1842. Edward and the Reserve Battalion arrived
at Bermuda in the autumn of 1842. On arrival there was an epidemic of yellow fever raging in Bermuda and
the Reserve Battalion was encamped at the ferry, near St George's. The epidemic claimed 87 of Edward's battalion. During this time, my great great grandmother, Mary Ann Turner was born.  On 13th March 1844 Edward's battalion swapped stations with the first battalion and were stationed at
and Ireland Island.

In 1846, Sergeant Edward Turner was discharged from the 20th Regiment of Foot after over 25 years service
and Edward, Elizabeth and their two children Edward George and Mary Ann settled in Salford, Lancashire.
In Salford, Edward and Elizabeth had two more children, Elizabeth (1846) and David (1850).

For information about Bermuda, click here.

For information about the 20th regiment of Foot Fusiliers click here.